You can read about it in my previous post here Bedroom makeover and part 1 here where I have made my pretty DIY bits. Bedroom is the place where I recharge and occasionally sleep in my busy schedule 😉 I want this place to be cosy and functional. Again, I can’t change the bed or paint the walls so I worked with accessories to make it look the way I wanted. Here, few tips and trick how to make your bedroom work and avoid 10 common decor mistakes we all do!
Before, I share with you the magic formula of great bedroom, let me introduce a brand I have fallen in love lately! You know by now, I love new and fresh ‘meat’ in the design world. Shani-Marie, an independent and experienced interior designer opened the ‘url’ of her new website only 10th of September last year. I met Shani-Marie, for a coffee and we had a very interesting chat about British handmade products. In her online store you can find all created and designed in Great Britain, carefully selected & best quality products. Each of the products has a story itself and you can find information’s about the designer just by clicking the Meet the Maker page. These days, many products are important from abroad and people often forgets what fantastic products they have here, nearly by their doorsteps. Also, importuning from abroad may raise a concern over quality and often labour problem. Cheap is good but do we really want the cheapest, poor quality products? Of course not! I was really intrigued by the Lynton Lane cushion collection. All these are designed and created by Shani-Marie. I was instantly hooked to the Scandinavian pastels and geometrics (I know you are not surprised). This entire collection just made my room look incredible! Go and check out the The Great British Home for some fantastic collections and British made best quality products!
To style the bedroom I have added accessories like the Lynton Lane cushions of course but also, I have hide the ugly plugs behind this fabulous Graham & Brown Pug framed print! My cats were staring at it for few minutes, with jealousy! The picture is great quality and stunning patterned created the pug graphic. It would make amazing Christmas present to any pug lover! It only cost £25! My lamp and bedding is from made.com latest collections! I love the soft pink ombre and its 100% cotton! My Colins bed side lamp price has been reduced from £40 to £25 so I have grabbed that out!
Next, 10 Common bedroom décor mistakes we all did! So read how to avoid it!
1. Bedding– Your bed space usually covers entirely your bedroom unless you have huge bedroom with extra space, but either way your bed would be the centre of the room. You need to make it look right! No matter what accessories you will add, if you chose wrong bedding then the rest doesn’t make sense. If your bedding is dark, wash out or with closed un-identified pattern or worse pattern than is not matching your bedroom style, then from here my love- everything goes downhill! If your bedroom is subtle with fresh pastel colours, make sure the bedding follows that. I know so many people who just walk to store and buy that ‘oh so pretty bedding’ because is on sale! This is I think the most common bedroom décor mistake we all do!
2. Cushions, patterns and throws. We girls often tend to buy loads of cushions and just skater them around! The bed looks the most beautiful, when you just throw loads of them doesn’t? Be careful! Don’t over mix patterns. Remember the simple rule- No similar size patterns mixed with together. Large patterns with small patterns! Otherwise, it will clash, it will look cheap! Patterns need to be different size! Also, don’t mix more than 3 colours and more than 3 patterns together! You can mix as many cushions as you wish with pretty throw just don’t go over the numbers above. Best you can do, is buy cushion to each room from same source! Designers know what is working what doesn’t, so buying from same shop will save to the hassle and you can avoid making mistakes.
3. Too small light bulb voltage and no side table lamp. This will not only make your eyes hurt when you trying to read book every night, but it will make your bedroom looks yellow (hell loads of editing if you trying to take photos, believe me!) plus the fight with your chubby who will switch the lighting off? Even if he went to bed last and pretend he is soo fast asleep, it’s freaking annoying! Plus table lamps works wonder! You can create beautiful ambience and also they work as accessory themselves!
4. Too dark walls. This can be a huge statement to your room but also a disaster if you not balance it well. If you love the dark walls (who doesn’t?) then do a little play before you paint the entire room! Firstly, decide if it will go on every single wall? Less is more like the Le Corbusier said, and pick just the wall behind your bed as statement! If you have no natural light in room I would suggest forget it. It will make the room look dull. You need to have window place fairly close so light can add that extra tense to your walls. Secondly, place all the accessories the colour swatch. Paint A3 sample and add all the bits you think to have in bedroom, if works then great if not- you will see it straight away! It’s better to spend a little time that having to have to repaint dark walls –believe me is such a pain!
5. Pendant with annoying pattern. Sometimes pendants have stunning pattern, but remember once the light is on they create a shadow. It may be the most amazing effect but you may end up like me in my 15, when I got this thread style, handmade pendant who made the room look like huge spider web and I was freaking out every night until I took that off!
6. Clutter! I know you want to show off your handbags and is easy to have the makeup out, but decide whether you want your bedroom look good or like messy beauty store. Have you ever tried to take a picture in charity shop? Things don’t make sense, they just throw there, and keep visible for potential sales, that’s probably how your bedroom look like! Invest in boxes and pile them, up! It can be anything from pretty suitcases, old shoe boxes that you can re-decorate, or ready-made ones. Sort that out in other words.
7. Avoiding rugs! Some people just avoiding them but having a soft small rug right in front of your bed will not only made your day once step in bare foot, but also statement rugs will add a little of edge and make room look finished! Oh and if you have cats they will pick this as their bed!
8. Over accessorizing. This is what even I did in the past. I have bought loads of crap thinking is going to look good. You need to find a balance. Work either asymmetry or symmetry- whatever works for you! Place Tall items next to smaller, and mix textures. Look what’s working and what’s not. Raw metallic like copper/bras will look good with marble and soft pastels where statement and bold colours like midnight blue/purple works wonder with gold and silver.
9. Don’t follow trends, follow your heart. It’s your bedroom after all. Just because you’ve seen something at someone’s doesn’t mean you need to have it. Try to be unique and hit charity shop. You will get more ‘Oh and Ah’ when a friend will see a very unusual vase or chair than the same pendant from popular store she has in her own bedroom. Awkward!
10. Don’t be scared of DIY. Honestly it’s not bad. You may not achieve the perfect result at first but the more you do, the better you become. It’s call skills. Believe me, this is going to be the piece you will be most proud of!
I hope you enjoyed the post, now go and make it work!
*I was gifted the items from this post