There is a new trend for home detox in a new year. I wanted to share few useful home hacks to make your home super clean but also creating a home detox not just for the sparkly clean look but to improve your wellbeing. Getting your home sparkling clean is probably what most of us want. Nice and shiny kitchen and well-organised bedrooms with everything sorted, sounds like a dream to every adult like. Well,
1.Clean your sink, oven and electrical. With this simple recipe: Baking soda, vinegar and water- you will create a homemade detergent to clean up the Christmas cooking stains in the oven plus lemon and salt to clean up the sink.
For a cleaner oven results, the same mixture but with more water – pour into a ceramic bowl and put your over for an hour with a fan with on. Then wipe it off while cool down.
For your sink, I usually use half cut lemon and just wipe with its sink and taps then sprinkle salt all over it and leave for 20 min. Then just wipe it off and it’s done.
For a cleaner electrical. I add few spoons of water and vinegar and 3 spoons of baking soda and create a paste like. Apply around the dirty items and leave for around 15min. Then rinse and wash as normal.
2. When cooking food in the microwave, always cover it with clingfilm. It will make the entire food hot (not just middle) but also it prevent spillages and dirty marks on your microwave. All restaurants chefs are using this home hacks!
3. Use bath caddy as storage shelf but also to keep wine, book or tablet while having a relaxed bath. Okey, this is not a genius home hacks but one of those reminders. Having a time for yourself when you can truly relaxed and pause, don’t forget to invest as little as £7 (Dunelm) to get a bath caddy, you will see how a huge difference it will make to your bath! This is when you detox not just your home but your body and mentally your are better prepared for the new year.
4. Recycled plastic bottles. We buy loads of water throughout the year as our water taste sick, and I tried filtered bottles but they don’t get rid of the taste of chlorine, so we are buying just bottled water every week. I have ended up with loads so I was looking for solutions how to reuse them.
Make your own containers, I cut the plastic top and found a linen fabric. Cut fabric in a square and get a small piece of string. Tied around softly to create a cap. Tada! You can use it for dried mushrooms, flour rice sugar- anything!
5. Bedding in a pillow it’s something I have only learn about a year ago and since it’s just one of the most useful hacks ever. Just simple put all your bedding sets like a pillow cover, duvet cover and matching bed sheets into a pillow cover and you have ready set whenever you need it. Not only it’s useful to quick grab if you usually have mixed them but also its save you loads of space in your wardrobe. Try.
6. Your sofa hacks. We have recently bought a second-hand sofa and it’s awesome. Finally, we have a great corner fabric sofa but there are few downsides to it. As this is second hand it sometimes buy topamax cheap smells. I have no clue, neither I want to think what previous owners were doing it with it.
The best way to get rid of the smelly sofa it is using washing granules and this is far best of home hacks I learned. I am using Lenor stoppable as I was using for years but you can use any brand really, as long as the smell stay long and fresh. You can slow alternatively use drying sheets. Simply put your granules into your pillows ( most pillows have zip on their cushions). If your sofa doesn’t have zips, try to squeeze the granules into holes and you can hoover them out in a week or so.
To keep your cushion seats fuller, simply plump your cushions. The large ones and the small ones, yes. I didn’t know I could do that with my sofa and we had flat cushions for few months after purchase. After a chat to a sofa seller, he told me to give a good whack ( on the floor few times, on the wall and few kicks 😉 ) my sofa was like brand new and literally, super soft.
7. Re-use paper bags from stores like Primark as a storage solution. this is what I do all the time. I have re-used brown paper back to keep all my photography paper backhands but also and gift wraps etc. Also for the smaller bags, I cut the top and keep it in my drawer as separators for socks, underwear and swimsuits.
8. Declutter your home and sell items on eBay, gumtree etc. including tips to boost sales. This may sound rather obvious, but believe me, not many people think of it and many of us out that on a side and eventually just throw away stuff. How wrong. Try to make it happen. I have earned £500 in a month just by selling my old clothes and shoes. Literally. It was out of fashion, and no longer suit me but in a fairly good condition. Make sure you post good quality pictures and remember either post on Sunday for 7 days around 6-7pm or Thursday for 10days( which will set in on Sunday). You will see the amazing satisfaction. Go to £1 shops and buy a bundle of packages. You get like 10 wraps and big bubble envelopes for £1 so it’s a great price. Also, decluttered home makes you feel more organised and more relaxed as you no longer trip over stuff but also you will see how amazing it will make you feel!
9. DIY what you can. Last of my home hacks is to DIY items. Most of the time, we would go and buy stuff, but instead, there are few simple ways of refreshing your home without spending money. I have recently in a one go I got a new lamp, new table and new candle holders.
Use spray paints and masking tape. This is far the most simple DIY. All you need is your item, a spray paint and masking tape. you can create anything. I recently like stripes and mixed textures so this worked brilliantly. Read more about how I achieved the DIY effects.
- Nike Tarpaulin 19 Litre Gym Bag
- FlexShot 500ml Water Bottle
- Vivid Water in a Box
- The Goodness of Avocado by Lucy Jessop
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo
- The Mindfulness Colouring Diary by Emma Farrarons
- Teapigs Green Tea with Mint
- TonyMoly Panda’s Dream Eye Patch
- Oh K! Cherry Blossom Hand Cream
- Mighty Bee Coconut Jerky
- Raw Gorilla Raw Cacao and Lucuma Muncihes
- Visionary Foods Banana Super Bites