I think by now, we all know what Hygge mean, but if you are not aware then Hygge is a Danish term to describe a feeling of cosiness and well-being. Hygge got adapted into our homes since became an Instagram populated but in reality, Hygge was created to sell you more candles as the country is well known for their large amount of factors that produce candles. It’s a marketing after all, but a very caving marketing.
If you are not aware of what LiveLagom perhaps starts with my post about how to save up money by LiveLagom so you will know exactly what I am talking about.
So, here are my top tips:
1. bedroom. The bedroom is probably the easiest to warm up and bring higgle because of course: bed. You can bring Hygge and mix it with LiveLagom in a very easy way. LiveLogom is all about reuse, not waste and just own what you really need rather stocking up on unimportant expensive items. Check my winter bedroom makeover post as well. In bedroom apply these few tips.
- Choose your bedding wisely. It’s not just about pretty fabric pattern to make it all Hygge but make it LiveLagom but choosing wisely your fabric like brushed cotton duvet cover from Julian Charles or even woolly duvet. You will farm and spoiled at the same time.
- Candles. It’s all about candles. As soon as you walk home, put candles on and besides you won’t feel the actual warmth but it will give you the appearance which your brain will stimulate as actual warmth so nothing stops you there. And so Hygge!
- Cushions. Loads of cushions. Just surround yourself with cushions when you go sleep and you will see how warmer you will feel. I used to put cushions on the floor before sleep and it was the biggest mistake. Yes, the crease faster and perhaps you need to wash them often but buy different cushions for the bedroom that you can actually use that all beaded decorative ones. Choose cotton or breathily fabric as well.
2. living room. most likely the biggest room in the house and most cold as you walk in. The fastest way of keeping it warm is to prevent of cold getting in to look for potential areas of the draft. I cover my window with a blanket at the bottom as soon as it starts being cold so I know I won’t let anything in.
- Invest in a quality rug. Nice thick rug with a wall or other fabric that keep warmth is a must. Even if you have carpet then still absolutely fine. I have once rocked that rug on carpet look so check the post out. You can find fab deals and rug sales online so definitely check this out. I love that Very rug. £50! Trendy and literally so Hygge.
- Throws and loads of throws. Here we talk textures. If your sofas fabric than leather the better but you can still cover it with plenty of textures like merino wool, sheepskin or chenille to keep it nice and cosy. I usually layer up with several and the effect s fantastic so don’t be afraid.
- Same as bedroom candle rule applies here.
- Quality blinds and windows. If you rent then you may not have the opportunity to invest in good quality double glazed windows but you can, of course, change your blinds for thicker ones. I have blackouts blinds that are fantastic for multiple reasons as it not only keeps the sun away when I don’t need but also keeps home warmer. There so many great shops to find blinds in UK like this one or just search your local places as you may strike some fab deal.
- save up on electricity. (Boilers owners) This is what I recently learned and perhaps some of you maybe aware of it, but I wasn’t. Firstly, find out on which electricity tariff you are. If you are on Economy 7 that this means your electricity is cheaper overnight. I know it doesn’t sounds appealing to way till 11pm to be able to put heating on but few tricks and you can get it warm up quicker. Get into habits of doing few things.
- switch off boiler during the day and only put it on after 10 pm either for few hours or if you morning person then a few hours before 7am. This way your tank heat up during the night and you are not using it during day.
- If you can, shower in the evening rather a morning. Again during off-peak hours. Having nice warm (not hot) shower will keep you warm and you can snuggle and have more time in the morning. I also find my hear to be heather since I don’t need use drying in the morning.
- Do your washing overnight. Especially if you do on high temperature like washing bedding or towels as it will save you up few pennies.
- Do you dish overnight as well. Wait until evening to quick wash your dishes as well as put on the dishwasher. You will wake up to clean home and have that extra penny.
- put your eating overnight only or if you have to though out the day but watch time, and only put up to 1h top. I am lucky that my heating warm up super fast so it needs literally 30min and I have a nice warm flat.