If you follow me for a little while, you will know that I have became an IKEA ambassador for Live Lagom programme where I promote sustainability & eco living. Since joining the programme, there have been so many things that changed my lifestyle and me as well. So when Flogas the LPG and Propane gas supplier challenged me to write a post about all thing I would miss, I felt this is the perfect post for me. Here we go, let’s chat about the things we would and I wouldn’t miss if I were living off the grid.
We used to rent a room, above a smelly restaurant living with my landlord in, and we barely have anything then. Two of us used to live in a tiny attic room, with a sloppy ceiling taking most of the tiny space. I was getting really creative creating little wardrobes and actually trying to keep the space clean but the main point was to keep only the items we need, rather we own. During that time, I remember I was dreaming about having our own apartment with a cat close to city centre of Manchester.
Basically, exactly what I have now, just the cat doubled in a mean time 😉
Over the past 3 years while living here, I have realised I have collected so much stuff. Considering the fact, that I have packed half of the living room (landlord tables, chairs etc) and moved to a spare bedroom, now this room it’s one space with so much stuff in, you can’t even move. My big plan is to do a proper sale in March, get rid of all the items, but also earn some cash. Also, I have realised that having most of the staff put away for a photoshoot the other day, it’s been now a week since the items stuck there, and not even once I get into this room to take anything! Literally, I don;t need this stuff. So if I would live off
Also, I have realised that having most of the staff put away for a photoshoot the other day, it’s been now a week since the items stuck there, and not even once I get into this room to take anything! Literally, I don’t need this stuff. So, if I would live off grid, I would happily get rid of all the stuff really.
So here, I have decided to make a list of items i wouldn’t miss…
- 90% of my makeup and skincare. Basically, I barely do makeup anyway. The only thing I would need is a foundation, mascara and lipgloss. So why having 3 large boxes of makeup and skincare? Most if the stuff is unused anyway. I would, of course, keep the most usable skincare as a good moisturiser is a must but I don’t need 3 types of body lotion or face glitter that I only use on NYE. I wouldn’t miss.
- Clothes & accessories. I have loads of bags of clothes, accessories and shoes I probably brought back from home 13 years ago. No joking. I only wear some clothes, and most of the stuff I don’t, so why on earth would I keep all that? I’ll keep my capsule wardrobe items and sale on Ebay rest. I wouldn’t miss.
- Home decor accessories. Since I have been blogging about the interior, I have collected loads of stuff over the years. Most of the items are my home decor pieces from candles (like we talking about loads of candles), vases and cushions. I keep finding craft items everywhere as well. I think this need a proper clear-out. I won’t be able to use the items anymore. I am always in two minds about stuff like that as I think I would use it. No, I won’t! I wouldn’t miss.
- Electronics. I have probably 5 mobiles phones, 2 unused laptops and a tablet that I don’t use anymore. None of these has a high value as these are very old ( we talk about first laptops so perhaps an antique now) but still, it stays in my drawer and there is no need for it. I wouldn’t miss.
- Those small items that are in an every drawer. Like I can’t really name the lot, but we talking about a glove for my GHD that I never used, broken sunglasses I always aimed to repair 3 years ago but instead bought new ones and all small tiny items I perhaps will never use. I wouldn’t miss.
As the new year started, I wanted to start with a clean slate and clear out all the items I don’t need and I wouldn’t miss. I wouldn’t throw them away because this will be such a waste but I can give away half of it to people who need it more via websites like freecycle.org, charity shops and sell more valuable items on Ebay.
Initially, before I started the post, I was more thinking of getting this post into what I would miss, but it really made me realise that I have more items that actually I wouldn’t miss at all. I don’t have high valuable items so all above wouldn’t make me a rich girl out of one clearance, no. These are small items most used and worn so perhaps, it’s a time to say goodbye. I wouldn’t miss.
Now, let’s just jump on 5 things I would miss the most. I had a bit of thinking about things like central heating, hot water, oven etc. but I realised when we went camping, I was perfectly happy with a thicker jumper, breakfast on fire and brushing me teeth with water in bottle ( or river perhaps in that case 😉 )
And the list of items i would miss…
- My cats. Whether I am on holiday or just popped in a store nearby, I always think what they up to so if I would need to go and take only 3 things ( well, I’ll cheat here and count them as 1) so I would take them with me. I would miss.
- My phone. This my contact to the world and I am pretty much addicted to Twitter & Instagram so I would need to be able to see all the amazing pictures, world news and stupid short videos and gifs! I would miss
- Pink hair dye. If I would go somewhere, I would rather wear the same clothes all day long but at least have my hair perfectly dyed pink! I would miss.
- My camera. Capturing moments of my life, surrounding and my cats are something I do every day. Going anywhere with my camera means a day of miserable me. My phone doesn’t take as good pictures as my camera so this is something I need with me. Always. I would miss.
- Comfy duvet. I perhaps would drag this anywhere. I spend most of the time in my bedroom and I would really miss a comfy duvet anywhere. I hate when you go to places and they give you like double blankets to cover. I would miss.
- Post written in a collaboration with Flogas, who challenged me to write all the bits, of course all the I would and I would are my own, along with all the grammar errors ( read about me to find out why, you see them sometimes 😉